Friday, June 26, 2009

Car Fail

We had some wonderful car adventures this week. On Wednesday our plan was to borrow our friend Heather's moving truck to go and pick up a new crib, since Cora's was recalled a little while ago. Here's what the new one looks like, minus the bedding cause I don't like it and we don't know our baby's gender either. I kind of think crib bedding is a waste anyway since babies don't usually use the comforter and bumpers are unsafe. I love the star posts on the crib. So unique. Anyway...

As I was saying we intended to borrow the truck and then Rob would help them move their things into the truck. Unfortunately on our way with Heather's husband Matt to pick up their truck our car had a little temper tantrum. First I noticed a bad smell... then a bad sound... then bad smoke... yikes. We pulled over only about a block after we left luckily. Rob took a look under the hood and noticed some kind of fluid was dripping down onto the parking lot, but we weren't sure exactly what kind of fluid since the ground was so dirty.

We decided it was best to call our roadside assistance, which I am now so so happy that we have. They towed the car for free and we learned that the power steering return line had blown and sprayed fluid all over the engine, thus the yucky smell and smoke. While it was there we had them also fix the broken door motor that was making a horrible noise every time we locked it, and bonus: our warranty covered everything!! We didn't get to help Heather move much and Rob was headed to the airport that night and had to find a ride in a pinch, but the car repair place fit us in and was able to fix it in one day so that was good.

Yay crisis over... well sort of. So today we took a trip to Fox Brook Park which has a nice little man-made lake and beach. It's about a half hour drive, but Cakes loves swimming and sand so it was worth it. Unfortunately our car adventure continues... the battery light turned on about 20 minutes into the drive. The battery connections and drive belt were ok so we thought it was best to postpone the trip and take it in, and luckily we did because we found out that the alternator also was broken. Hooray for extended warranties again. I think we actually saved money by having one with this car, and it's good until 2011. Did I mention the fun part of today's adventure is that I decided to just wear my swimsuit and shorts to the beach, so I had to walk around the car repair place and entertain a two-year-old while pregnant and in a swimsuit? Sooo much fun. Not embarrassing at all...right? Pretty sure I'll bring an extra shirt next time. We finally made it to the beach about 4 hours later, and eventually we had a great time.

I actually feel really blessed that the car broke down at two very convenient times- a block from a friend's house and a mile from our usual car repair place while Rob was with me. I'm so happy that it didn't happen on Tuesday while I was driving through the hood on the way to playgroup with no cell phone. So there is a bright side to everything.

No comments: