Thursday, August 23, 2012

Kindergarten Woes

It has happened already.  This morning Cora said, "I don't want to go to school anymore.  It's too LONG!"  I really really wish there was a half day option for her.  She doesn't like that it's almost dinner time already when she gets home (3:30 is almost dinner time in her mind).

I have been so excited to pack really cool nutritious lunches for her.  We bought her this super cute owl lunch bag and a whole bunch of various containers and ice packs so she could have lunches from home.

The first day was fine.  She was adamant that she have a peanut butter and honey sandwich in her lunch, so that's what she got.  Then for the 2nd day I sent her favorite pasta salad with olives that I specially made the night before.  When she got home yesterday I was surprised to find that she hadn't eaten a single bite of her lunch.  When I asked her, she told me that she ate her whole lunch.  I was confused, but we figured out that she told the teacher she wanted to have a hot dog for lunch.  They let the hot lunch kids pick between a few options for their lunch each day.  They must have just asked her what she wanted for lunch, and the hot dog was too tempting to resist.

Now I owe the school two dollars.  Sigh.  And they think I'm a negligent parent because, from what I could figure, she told them she forgot her lunch so she could have the hot dog one.  It's really hard to find out what really happened when you're asking an embarrassed and upset 5 year old why she didn't eat her lunch, but that's my guess.

Today I made a big deal of the fact that I put four green gummy bears in her lunch, and that she could only have them if she ate the lunch I made for her in her super special pretty owl lunch bag.  We'll see if it worked.

1 comment:

Bogardi said...

I'm willing to bet that they'd let her come home at lunch - in fact since they can't legally require her to come to kindergarten at all they'd be insane not to - you just have to talk to them and work it out! Even my second grader comes home an hour earlier than everyone else because it's just too long!