Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bye Bye Snakey

Lately when Cora gets mad at me she writes me a letter.

  The first one was when she came home from school with a paper about Girl Scouts.  She told me that EVERYONE in her class was going to Girl Scouts except her, and she was so sad. "Mom the teacher had everyone who is in Girl Scouts raise their hand and EVERY girl except me is!"  Since Cora is already taking a dance class every week Rob and I decided that's enough after school stuff for a 6-year-old and she doesn't need more stuff on her schedule (if anything we'd add a music lesson, not scouts), so I told her that we would not do Girl Scouts this year.

She ran off to her room to sulk, and came out with this letter:


 and on the back, one more time....
 I just love how she's learning to write and spell.

Then a couple of weeks ago I broke the news to her that we were going to sell our pet Helo (named after the TV show character on BSG) aka "Snakey."  We liked him a lot, but it was time to buy more food, and a year's worth is around 100 dollars so we were reevaluating our desire to keep him.  He also wasn't being held enough to keep him super tame, which makes me nervous.  So we planned to sell him and told Cora.  She burst into tears, said now we won't have any pets and she's the ONLY kid who has a snake in her class and now she won't have ANYTHING!

And then she wrote this letter and showed it to me:

It says Good bye Helo.  You were in our family.  I will always love you.  I will buy a snake like you.  From Cora.  Good bye Helo. I will always love you.


So Helo is gone now and we got a Betta fish to console Cora, after which she perked right up and said "NOBODY in my class has a FISH!" 

Finn wants to name him Lava Boy and Cora wants to name him Pahoehoe (can you tell she learned something at Craters of the Moon National Monument this summer?).  She got mad though because she didn't know how to spell Pahoehoe and she didn't like Finn calling him Lava Boy, so here's the note for that:
Our pet is now Pahoehoe.  (blub blub blub)

1 comment:

Staci said...

That is pretty cute. Better a note then a temper tantrum!